Bullying By Any Other Name Is Still Bullying
When I was a kid a bully was a bigger kid who picked on smaller kids or a group of kids who picked on a single person or a smaller group of kids. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary bully definition is abuse and mistreatment of someone vulnerable by someone stronger, more powerful, etc. : the actions and behavior of a bully.
WOW! How things have changed. Today’s bullies prefer to shame people on social media using crude and vulgar tactics like posting information that will publicly embarrass them. Sometimes it’s true and sometimes it’s not.
Popular Bullying Tactics Include:
- Cancel Culture is a popular way to bully people. The most common usages include:
- Shouting down a public speaker and violating free speech rights
- Using social media to gather momentum against a person, TV show, or product that the group disagrees with. The intended result is to bully a person or company to bow to the group’s demands
- Body Shaming – making fun of the way someone looks
- Doxing – publishing personal information about a person with the intent of hurting or embarrassing them
- Revenge Porn – publishing sexually explicit pictures or information about a person with the intent
What’s The Harm In Using Social Media?
There is no harm in using social media when it is used in a socially responsible way. However, when social media is used to spread rumors, post opinions as facts, or downright lie about a person or group there can be great harm. Incredibly, many people never think twice about accepting a post as truth. So the deceit and inaccuracies get spread thousands or millions of times. Even if corrected, the person, group, or company harmed remains injured.
I believe the most despicable part of this is that many media outlets, left-wingers, right-wingers, and politicians have adopted this policy of knowingly spreading false statements to cause harm or shape public opinion. All of this is done without regard to the impact on the innocent. The sole purpose of this is to meet an objective.
That’s why I believe it is time for the silent majority to take action and make the changes that are necessary.
What Can You Do To Make A Difference?
Making the world a better place takes commitment and action. But I’m not talking about being abusive, hurting people, damaging property, or standing on a soapbox in the town hall. What I am talking about is taking the steps necessary to make societal changes through communication and standing your ground.
Here are some suggestions of things you can do to start making changes:
- Tell your elected representatives how you feel and what you expect from them. Every page on this blog has a section titled “Contact Your Elected Officials”. There you will find links to obtain contact information for federal, state, and local offices. Find your elected representatives and start to let them know if you’re happy with their performance so that they can keep it up or let them know you’re not happy and what your expectations are. Do this as often as necessary to make your voice heard.
- Share this contact information with your friends and relatives and ask them to do the same thing.
- Be involved with your local school boards. Local and State education departments decide on the curriculum for your children. You can communicate with them to convey your thoughts on your child’s education.
I can’t say this enough. Talk to your like-minded friends, neighbors, and relatives to get people talking and involved with what’s going on around them, and VOTE!
We are not fighting against human beings but against the wicked spiritual forces in the heavenly world” (Ephesians 6:12 GNT).
Please feel free to leave comments or suggestions below.
You May Also Like…
The following is an actual correspondence with my Senator. I am posting this to show how little attention is paid to...
I Can't Focus Extraordinary Grief Experiences One of the most extraordinary grief experiences is the inability to...
Civility In Politics Senator Tim Scott raised the bar for civility in politics when he delivered the Republican...